Search This Blog

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Let me introduce myself. . .

My name is Gwen Rice, I'm the communications director for Forward Theater Company in Madison, WI. I'm also a writer of plays, short stories, creative non-fiction, and snappy headlines. I am easily seduced by creativity, wit, talent, and red wine. I love making pie, going to the farmer's market every Saturday in the summer, throwing dinner parties, and checking things off my to-do list.

The name of this blog, in case you were wondering, (and I'd be surprised if you weren't) refers to a family tradition that's been passed down to me from my great-great grandmother. Generations of women in my family, farming in Iowa, churned butter and then shaped it by hand -- no molds here! -- into the shape of duck. This served as an edible centerpiece for every special occasion. They grew so popular that legend has it, some my intrepid ancestors also sold them to their neighbors. These days I make them for Christmas and Thanksgiving and anytime I want to bring a conversation piece to a party. My sons are in their experimental phase with butter animal sculpture, but someday I'm sure we'll have a mama duck and ducklings gracing my table, just like my mom did.

When I dabbled in catering (mostly just making holiday food for friends) I improvised the name for my business -- Butter Duck Catering. So when it came to naming the blog I wanted something unique and personal . . .I'm guessing there aren't many other butter animal monikers out on the interweb.

So, anyway. . . I'm planning to post bits and pieces of fiction I'm writing or revising. Please enjoy. If you have a suggestion for making the piece better, please share. If you don't like it, be patient. You might like the next story.

No comments:

Post a Comment