Search This Blog

Sunday, August 7, 2011

My blog's namesake

And because some of you have already asked. . .here is a butter duck.


This one is made from one stick of butter and two cloves for eyes, although previous generations evidently used an entire pound of butter.  . . .which is a lot of dairy to be smushing through your fingers.  I have a system down now -- I've been doing this for 30 years, so they don't take long, which is good since there is a very small window in which the butter is warm enough to mold but cold enough not to liquefy.

I brought this one to my friend Lindsay's holiday party last year, which resulted in a lot of speculation and some levity. Notice the knife nearby. . .I always say that while they are indeed meant to be eaten, you can tell a lot about a person by which part of the duck they go for first. I usually take a bit from the wing or tail. Some people lop the head off. Takes all kinds, of course. . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment